Disclaimer: The article contains affiliate links. We may earn commission from it.
Too long, didn’t read:
The promise of marriage is one of the most romantic things a person can offer another. Of course, you want to create a perfect moment that will be unforgettable. When you are asking someone to marry you, the timing and the engagement ring are what make the surprise irresistible.
If the ring fits the finger comfortably, they will wear it. Not to mention those future announcements to family and friends that may include photographs or social media selfies to show off your excitement and the beautiful new ring!
An engagement ring is the symbol of your love and you want to get it right. Now that you are ready to pop the question, you need to determine the correct ring size – before you order the ring. The size may also help you focus the style of the ring, due to different shapes and settings.
When measuring, you can follow Blue Nile’s jewelers’ words of advice:
“the perfect fitting ring should slide over the knuckle with ease and fit comfortably without falling off.”
With the chart, you will be able to find the correct ring size that matches the wearer’s measurement. It also includes U.S. ring size to Eu and other country conversions. The ring sizes are in 0.4 mm increments each.
Women’s ring sizes are common from size 3 (14.1 millimeters) to size 9 (19 millimeters), but most purchases are made for size 6 (16.5 mm). Popular purchases are made in sizes 5 (15.7 mm) thru 7 (17.3 mm).
Men’s ring sizes are common from size 6 (16.5 mm) to size 13 (22.2 mm), but most purchases are for ring size 9 (19 mm), and many are purchased from size 8 (18.5 mm) thru size 10½ (20.2 mm).
Ring Size Chart
|USA / Canada Ring Size Guide||Diameter (mm)|
For more detailed information about the standard ring sizes, ring size guide, and printable ring sizer, please visit the Blue Nile.
Their ring size guide was created to match the diameter measurement on the rings that the Blue Nile sells. So if you follow the ring size chart, your ring should fit like a dream.
An engagement ring is usually placed on the person’s left hand on their ring finger, but in some cultures, it is placed on the right hand. Today it is popular for both women and men to wear them proudly as a symbol of their love story and future plans.
How to Measure for The Perfect Ring Size
The easiest option is to measure the finger of the person who will wear the ring. Direct measurement on the correct finger is the best choice.
Here Are Some Guidelines to Help:
- Measure the ring size at the end of the day and make sure the fingers are warm.
- Take into account that fingers are smaller in cold weather and early in the morning.
- Keep in mind that the fingers on the dominant hand are usually larger.
- Try to measure 3 to 4 times for accuracy if possible.
- Remember that wider banded rings may fit tighter than thinner bands and you should also consider this when choosing the ring.
How To Measure Your Ring Size Using a Tape Measure
- Use a soft tape measure with a millimeter measurement.
- For the most comfortable fit, wrap the tape below the knuckle where the ring will be worn and write down the measurement around at the point where the tape started.
How To Measure Ring Size Using a Piece of String, Floss, or Thin Strip of Paper
- Wrap the string or paper around the finger below the knuckle and mark the point where they overlap with a pen or marker without stretching it.
- PRO TIP: The string or paper should slip over the knuckle with a small amount of resistance. It is important that it is not too tight or loose.
- PRO TIP: Larger knuckles may affect how the ring slides on. In this case, take a second measurement of the knuckle diameter and choose the size between the two measurements.
- Lay the paper or string next to a ruler and take the millimeter measurement.
- Now match the measurement to the ring size chart to find the closest size. If it is not an exact match, choose the next largest half size.
Will it Be a Surprise?
If that perfect moment is something you want to keep secret, then you may need to get a bit more creative in finding out what ring size will fit them perfectly.
Here are some of the popular ideas:
- Ask their best friend – A close friend of your loved one can usually come up with a way to find out the ring size in conversation, while still keeping your secret. They could even visit a jewelry store together and have a professional measure for size. This could help you get some opinions on what style of ring your partner would adore.
- Ask a family member – Family members may also know their perfect ring size, as it is common to buy rings for birthdays, graduations, and special occasions. They will appreciate that you included them in your decision.
- Casually ask your partner if they have been sized for a ring before. Ask questions to get their opinion as to if you are buying a gift for another family member.
- You could measure your partner’s finger while they are sleeping, but it takes a steady hand to get an accurate measurement without them knowing. Use a light tip marker and string so they won’t feel it.
- Try matching to a ring they already own, but it must fit the right finger.
- PRO TIP: To measure an existing ring, measure the inside diameter and match it to the closest measurement and size on the Blue Nile size chart.
Most Accurate Way: Order a Free Plastic Ring Sizer
Using the plastic ring sizer is one of the easiest ways to measure because it gives you the perfect ring size instantly.The Blue Nile created this sizer to match the ring diameters of their ring designs.
What if I Need to Resize the Ring?
The Blue Nile provides complimentary resizing for most engagement rings and wedding bands within the recommended size range during the first year.
To resize a ring, they may need to add or remove small amounts of metal from the band if necessary. As a result, your ring may be slightly thicker or thinner after resizing, which is often unnoticeable.
Their jewelry experts follow strict quality standards so that your ring fits right and sparkles exquisitely with a professional clean and polish before you receive it.
Or you can use their 30-day return policy to exchange to another ring if you change your mind. Look for the icon in the product details to see if the design is resizable before you purchase or speak to Blue Nile experts, as custom designs may have return restrictions.
Choosing the Right Ring
Now that you have the measurement, you are ready to choose the perfect ring.
A diamond is the most traditional gem to be used in an engagement ring. Choosing the right one is important to the overall look and quality of the ring. Consult a jewelry expert to find out what the most popular rings and gemstones are being sold now. They can offer ideas to help you customize your rings to make them one-of-a-kind.
Their experts are knowledgeable and can support you during this exciting process and decision. They have helped many other couples around the world fulfill their dreams by finding the perfect ring.
How to Choose the Right Diamond
Before choosing a diamond, you should read about the 4C’s in the Diamond Education section of the website. They teach you all about the characteristics of the cut, color, clarity, and carat weight to help you make a purchase you will be proud of.
Learn about how their ethically sourced diamonds are analyzed and graded and read the fun Diamond Buying Guide & Cheat Sheet that offers tips for planning the purchase from idea to the proposal.
Impress your one and only with a diamond ring from their exclusive Astor Collection. These engagement and wedding rings are custom-made by their jewelers with the highest quality certified diamonds in a setting that will take your breath away.
Once you have chosen your engagement ring, you can plan which matching wedding bands will go along with it. Purchase them together as a matching pair or choose which style band will complement it later on.
After you have sized and purchased your rings, don’t forget to pass on the information you have learned here with another exciting couple planning their future together.
Discover More — Most Popular Wedding and Engagement Rings
The Blue Nile has helped more than 500 000 couples to find their best-fit wedding and engagement rings.
How To Measure Ring Size FAQ
Where to Get Printable Ring Sizer?
How do I know my ring size at home?
- To find your ring size, use a soft tape measure, a piece of string, a thin strip of paper, or floss to measure your correct size. Wrap one of these measurement tools below the knuckle where the ring will be worn and write down the measurement around at the point where the tape, string, floss, or strip of paper started. Lastly, lay the paper or string next to a ruler and take the millimeter measurement.
How do I know my girlfriend’s ring size?
- The easiest way to find out your girlfriend’s correct ring size is to find a ring from her jewelry box that she has been wearing on the ring finger. Then, use Blue Nile’s easy-to-use ring size guide or free ring sizer to find out the perfect size. You could also take the ring to a jeweler to find her ring size. Alternatively, you could ask her friend or family about her perfect ring size.
What if I order the wrong ring size?
- There is no need to stress about ordering the wrong size ring as the Blue Nile provides complimentary resizing for most engagement rings and wedding bands within the recommended size range during the first year.
Can I resize my ring?
- The Blue Nile provides complimentary resizing for most engagement rings and wedding bands.
How do I guess a man’s ring size without him knowing?
- The best way to guess a man’s ring size without him knowing is to ask her family members or friends about it. Alternatively, you could measure your partner’s finger while they are sleeping with a piece of string, paper, or floss.
What’s the most common ring size for a man?
- Men’s ring sizes are common from size 6 (16.5 mm) to size 13 (22.2 mm), but most purchases are for ring size 9 (19 mm), and many are purchased from size 8 (18.5 mm) thru size 10½ (20.2 mm).
What’s the average ring size for a woman?
- The average ring size for a woman ranges from size 3 (14.1 mm) to size 9 (19 mm), but most purchases are made for size 6 (16.5 mm). Popular purchases are made in sizes 5 (15.7 mm) thru 7 (17.3 mm).
Is a size 8 ring big for a woman?
- Size 8 ring isn’t big for a woman as women’s ring sizes are common from size 3 (14.1 mm) to size 9 (19 mm).
Can you tell ring size by height and weight?
- Unfortunately, you cannot tell ring size by height as there is no correlation between finger size and height. However, you can indirectly tell ring size by weight as both men’s and women’s ring size fluctuates with weight loss and gain.
Is your ring size the same as your shoe size?
- There is no clear correlation between your ring size and shoe size. However, you could still get an approximate ring size if you divide her shoe size by 2 and then add 1.5.
What is 2.5 inches in a ring size?
- 50 (2 ½ inches) in a ring size is 10½ (20.2 mm in diameter)
How big is a size 7 ring?
- Size 7 ring is 17.3 mm or 0.67 inches in inside diameter.
How many MM is a size 9 ring?
- Size 9 ring is 19 mm or 0.74 inches in inside diameter.